If you’ve experienced a fire or smoke damage at home or at your business, you know firsthand how stressful the situation can be. Turn to ServiceMaster Restoration by Ideal Group; we’re experts and our technicians are standing by 24/7 to assist you in any emergency.
What To Do If You Have Fire Or Smoke Damage
- Roll up valuable carpets and throw rugs to prevent additional soiling from walking on them.
- Discard any open food packages as these may be contaminated.
- If electrical service is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner that specializes in smoke damage.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing from the smoke. Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air. Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to remove smoke and reduce smoky odors.
- Call ServiceMaster Restoration by Ideal Group for professional help. Do not wait as smoke and soot do more damage as it sits.
Important Warnings on Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting a professional.
- Incorrect cleaning procedures may compound smoky soot residue problems.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
- Do not touch anything. Oil on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.