Mold growth happens quickly and can start causing problems in as little as 48 hours if your home or business has suffered from water invasions like a flood or sewage backup. If you don’t tackle mold growth fast, it can cause serious health issues especially to children, elderly family members and anyone with existing respiratory problems. ServiceMaster Restoration Services by Ideal Group has the experience and expertise to take care of any mold contamination issues in the East Bay Area and here are some of our mold tips:
Keep Indoor Humidity Low
- Humidity should stay between 30-50% relative humidity, if possible.
- Measure humidity levels with an inexpensive humidity meter.
- A good way to tell if humidity is high is if you see moisture or condensation on windows and walls. If you see moisture in those areas, dry them immediately.
- Make sure that your bathroom and kitchen areas are well ventilated.
- Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months.
Locate Problem Areas
Homeowners should try to make your home as mold resistant as possible, you cannot fully mold-proof your home but taking precautions can help you in the future. Check your home and look for problem areas such as basement flooding, condensation on windows and water stains on the ceiling. It is a common idea that treating visible mold with bleach will eliminate the issue, however, bleach doesn’t eliminate the mold, it only controls it. If you catch the signs of mold growth early enough, it could save you from costly repairs in the future.
Dry Excess Water
If your home or office has suffered from water damage, it is important to dry all the affected areas and remove wet items within 24-48 hours of the initial damage to your home to avoid mold growth. Even if you have taken all the precautions, mold can be hidden in your carpet and drywall. Proper ventilation will help keep moisture levels at a normal level. Mold needs moisture to grow, so keep your home as dry as you can to prevent growth.
- Equip your home products are materials that are mold-resistant.
- Monitor indoor humidity; if the temperature is above 60 degrees, you should use a dehumidifier.
- Make sure water is directed away from your home with a quality gutter system.
- Wear protective clothing while dealing with areas affected with mold.
- Keep proper air circulation in your home.
- Contact the professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration Services by Ideal Group before it’s too late!