Smoke Damage Cleanup
If you’ve experienced fire or smoke damage at home or at your business, you know firsthand how stressful the situation can be. Turn to ServiceMaster Restoration by Ideal Group; we’re experts and our technicians are standing by 24/7 to assist you in any emergency.
What To Do If You Have Fire Or Smoke Damage
- Roll up valuable carpets and throw rugs to prevent additional soiling from walking on them.
- Discard any open food packages as these may be contaminated.
- If electrical service is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner that specializes in smoke damage.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing from smoke. Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air. Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to remove smoke and reduce smoky odors.
- Call ServiceMaster Restoration by Ideal Group for professional help. Do not wait as smoke and soot does more damage as it sits.
Important Warnings on Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting a professional.
- Incorrect cleaning procedures may compound smoky soot residue problems.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
- Do not touch anything. Oil on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.